We had a problem for a while. Our 135lb. rottweiler Zeus kept climbing our fence to take afternoon strolls through our neighborhood. I thought it was pretty funny when I would go to get him and see him cruising down the side walk like he was the king cock of the block. Unfortunately the people who were crossing fifth east when they saw him headed their way did not get the same laugh out of the whole thing that I did.
I just love aircraft cable, pulleys, and rigging. You can trap anything with the stuff! This being the case I decided I would make a tie off to keep Zeus in our yard. I drilled a hole into one of the roof beams for our porch and put a 4" long hook bolt in it. To the hook bolt I attached a spring shock absorber, up to 800 lbs. I then strung a piece of 1100lb load cable to it with bolt clamps. I secured the other end to our fence post across the yard. To do this I used a piece of chain with connector link to loop around the post and connect to a 400lb load cable rigging ring. I then secured a carbine clip to the other end of the cable and hooked this to the rigging ring to make the cable removable. A pulley is threaded onto this line with another cable running off of it. It is the cable that runs off of the pulley that attaches to Zeus' collar.
I thought we were good to go. It took Zeus a week to bend the rigging ring from a circle to an oval, bend the hook bolt to angle, and snap his supposedly indestructible store bought collar. This being the case I decided that if I wanted a collar made the right way I would probably, like most things, have to do it myself.




great blog. I love rottweilers, my friend has 3 of them that are gentle giants. They don't get as much credit as they deserve. You seem like a good dog owner. I enjoyed reading your post ( :
ReplyDeleteI love this! A moose couldn't break that collar. You should sell them to other dog owners that run into this same problem! I can't wait to see what you come up with to support your roof and fence posts?
ReplyDeleteYou are a man of many talents brother! I'm so happy you started your blog. Zeus looks so mischievous in that picture. Janessa is right I bet you could sell a ton of those collars. I will be checking back soon! Love you Brit
ReplyDeleteThe collar has held up pretty good so far. Great job babe! You are so crafty!
ReplyDeleteWow, when I read the first part I was thinking "This is total overkill". Obviously that dog is somehow bred with some sort of supernatural strength. Just proves his name is appropriate! ;)
ReplyDeletethat is exactly what I need for my dog.
ReplyDelete